Wednesday, November 16, 2016

An Uncharted Journey: How I Became an Atmospheric Scientist Rather than a Cowboy or a Farmer

Dr. Michael J. Kurylo: "This story describes the path that took me from post-WW II housing projects to and through a rural Connecticut neighborhood, how I became convinced about the unrealistic nature of some early naive career dreams, and how I eventually arrived at a career in atmospheric science (research and program management, and their interface with international environmental policy). My journey was somewhat unpredictable and, at times, unexpected since the path was occasionally altered by some rather harrowing events. Fortunately, my decisions at various forks in the road were influenced by several people to whom I am most indebted. Without their intervention and guidance, I might have chosen differently and arrived at another journey’s end. I hope that my story will serve to inform early-to-mid career colleagues that anything is possible if you apply yourself and are not afraid to take “the road less traveled".”

Dr. Michael J. Kurylo, USRA and Code 614, Atmospheric Chemistry and Dynamics Lab

No comments:

Post a Comment